Affordable Wedding Officiants

Marriage Laws United States Alabama Wedding Officiants

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

Marriage license requirements may vary as each county in Alabama could have their own requirements, so be sure to call the marriage license bureau in the county where your wedding will be held to verify the details.

Monroe County Marriage License Office

Probate Court
Courthouse Square
Monroeville, AL 36461
(251) 743-4107
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. / M - W, F; 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 / Th
Closed for holidays Observed by Monroe County

ID Requirement:

You will need valid Driver's License or Birth Certificate if you are over 18. All applicants must also provide a Social Security number.

Residency Requirement:

You do not have to be a resident of Alabama.

Previous Marriages

If you were divorced within the last 6 months of your wedding date, you will need to show a copy of your Divorce Decree. According to Section 30-2-10 of the Alabama Code, there is a sixty (60) day restriction on getting married after a divorce.

Covenant Marriage Option:


Waiting Period:

There is no waiting period in Alabama except after being divorced. Then there is a 60 day waiting period after your divorce is final.

Nonresidents who want to be married by a county marriage official may have to wait three days. Please contact the county offices to verify whether or not you will have a waiting period.

How Much a Marriage License Cost?

Cash, local check or credit card requirement varies depending on County. Some locales charge $2 for using a credit card. License fees also vary. $43.35+ for marriage license only; $63+ for license, ceremony and a certified copy.

Other Required Tests:

No blood or medical tests required.

Proxy Marriages:


Cousin Marriages:


Common Law Marriages:


A valid common law marriage exists in Alabama when there is capacity to enter into a marriage, present agreement or consent to be husband and wife, public recognition of the existence of the marriage, and consummation.

Same Sex Marriages:


According to Section 30-1-19 aka The Alabama Marriage Protection Act, "A marriage contracted between individuals of the same sex is invalid in this state ... The State of Alabama shall not recognize as valid any marriage of parties of the same sex that occurred or was alleged to have occurred as a result of the law of any jurisdiction regardless of whether a marriage license was issued."

Under 18:

If either of you are under 18, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. Both parents must be present with identification, or if you have a legal guardian they must be present with a court order and identification.

The state also requires a $200 bond to be executed, payable to the State of Alabama. If one or both parents are deceased, proper evidence of such must be provided. According to the Alabama Code Section 30-1-4, individuals under the age of 16 may not marry.

Name Change:

Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage name change kit.

Under 18:

Parental consent is needed if under 18 years of age. If you are between 16-18 years of age, one of your parents or guardian must be with you and provide written consent.

If you are under 16 years of age, you will need both the written consent of your custodial parent or guardian and the written approval of a judge of the Orphans' Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas.

If you are under 18, pregnant or have a child, and show a certificate from a licensed physician stating you are pregnant or have had a child, the parental consent requirement may be waived.


License is valid for thirty (30) days.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

Alabama Department of Public Health
Bureau of Vital Statistics
434 Monroe St.
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-3017
Phone: 334-613-5300
Fax: 334-240-3097

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Ask Questions, Get Answers from Experts ASAP | JustAnswer Ask questions and get answers from verified Experts online. Get an answer when you ask a lawyer, wedding planner, or other Expert on

To notify us of corrections or additions send an email to  Please include the state and county information.

Order Vital Records Online! certified copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce certificates, for events which occurred within the state of Alabama.

Local Officiants | Local Wedding Officiants | Chicago Wedding Officiants | Illinois Officiants| NJ Officiants

All Ceremonies | New York Wedding Officiants | USA Wedding Officiants | NY Wedding Officiants

Wedding Officiants Directory    Local Officiants Lists!    Ceremony Wedding Officiants

© 2014